One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in film or television) an abrupt transition from one scene to another.
- ‘There's a jump-cut from the boy stealing his father's car to the moment three days later when his body is found in the water.’
- ‘Presented in black-and-white documentary-style, with jumpcuts and hand-held shots, the spot dissolves to quick cuts from Ryan's speech before the Trumbull County organization.’
- ‘We used a lot of jump-cuts and flash-cuts because thoughts happen that way - they come and go suddenly.’
- ‘They stand alone, but can also be experienced as a lightning-quick montage of jumpcuts.’
- ‘Slick dramatic lighting and a varied, enjoyable color design smooth out the film's disjointing plot jump-cuts and occasional coincidences.’
(in filmmaking or television) make an abrupt transition from one scene to another.
- ‘We jump-cut in time, meeting everyone from a prostitute turned schoolteacher to a father who dials his disappeared daughter at a sex-shop number where no one ever answers.’
- ‘It's nice to see Toback working with a decent budget, and the editing is very interesting: many of the dialogue sequences are filmed entirely in master shots, jump-cutting between takes instead of cutting away to alternate angles.’
- ‘In suspense scenes with multiple characters, we shouldn't have to jump cut to a brief expository discussion about ‘who's next’ to act as a finger string.’
- ‘There's video clips: Henry rants, and the camera jump cuts about every 700 milliseconds to make sure we know how exciting it is.’
- ‘Stone understands composition and action, and knows when to jump cut and when to hold on the moment.’
- ‘The scenes run on or jump-cut into one another.’
- ‘He lassoes one and we jump cut to Smith at night with a fire that has something cooking on a spit.’
- ‘Right on cue, we jump-cut to a 2003 Corey dressed like it's 1989.’
- ‘Zany jump-cuts throughout and an impressive supporting cast that includes the hilarious Janeane Garofalo as Matthew's wife make this wild-goose-chase-turned-revenge-plot refreshing and consistently funny.’
jump cut/ˈjəmp ˌkət/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.