One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sport of unarmed combat derived from jujitsu and intended to train the body and mind. It involves using holds and leverage to unbalance the opponent.
- ‘It is a fact that karate, judo, kendo, and iaido are much easier to learn than aikido.’
- ‘Anybody who knows anything about judo knows how important gripping is these days.’
- ‘When I joined the workforce I was faced with the decision of whether or not to learn judo.’
- ‘I was narrow-minded in the beginning and used to regard judo as the only martial art.’
- ‘If you want to only train in aikido, judo or a specific style of karate, is there a school in your area?’
- ‘What most people don't know, is that he did sumo before he ever did judo or karate.’
- ‘Ask some people why they do judo or kendo and you will get some who will answer that they train to be able to win a fight.’
- ‘This is possible only because judo is a sport; in reality such a thing would not occur.’
- ‘Also, the practice of judo and kendo was widespread before the war and taught in school.’
- ‘Most of them were already quite strong in judo or kendo or whatever art they had studied.’
- ‘Try gym, dance, judo or other martial arts, horse riding, skating and more.’
- ‘The third method calls for your practicing with someone not as good at judo as you are.’
- ‘Chris gained his black belt in both karate and judo almost 25 years ago.’
- ‘There are not many types of sport with so many technical possibilities as is in judo.’
- ‘Part of the early training in judo involves timing the slap on the mat to coincide with the impact.’
- ‘Lastly, the coach should maintain a good reference library on the subject of judo.’
- ‘From his teenage years, he took a keen interest in judo and karate, Bruce Lee being one of his early heroes.’
- ‘They also trained the police students who all held first or second black belts in judo or kendo.’
- ‘At the time Lisa had no idea what judo was, but thought Aaron sounded cute and decided to give it a try.’
- ‘His study of judo is to approach it as a martial art, that can be practiced as a sport.’
Late 19th century: Japanese, from jū ‘gentle’ + dō ‘way’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.