Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lawyer who advises a court-martial on points of law and sums up the case.
- ‘The trial judge advocate prosecuted the case with the aid of one assistant.’
- ‘He later served as a staff judge advocate in Korea.’
- ‘I spent 28 years as a Navy judge advocate so I am well familiar with what they do.’
- ‘The reason for the decision was chiefly the judge advocate's failure to direct the jury clearly that a mistaken belief in consent would provide a defence.’
- ‘The role of the judge advocate is a perplexing one.’
judge advocate/jəj ˈadvəˌkāt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.