One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or practice of driving fast and dangerously in a stolen car for enjoyment.
- ‘Some cars were just used for joyriding and dumped, but others may have been stolen to order or fitted with fake plates and sold.’
- ‘In many states, that has been changed by statute, particularly for crimes like joyriding.’
- ‘‘The whole area of joyriding and juvenile crime is indicative of how ineffective our justice system has become,’ he added.’
- ‘Said Mr Wills: ‘Careless driving and joyriding has to be stopped.’’
- ‘After the crash Gareth's father said he had taken six of his son's friends to the chapel of rest to warn them of the dangers of so-called joyriding.’
- ‘Many of the younger criminals have graduated from joyriding and burglary in their teens to crimes such as drug-dealing.’
- ‘The types of delinquency ranged from low-level stuff like being rowdy on a street corner, to theft from home and school, up to housebreaking, joyriding and robbery.’
- ‘Residents have complained that the area has become run-down, suffers at the hands of thugs intent on joyriding and burglary.’
- ‘He said that drugs, robbery and joyriding were rife and claimed that some streets were nothing more than ghettos.’
- ‘It was felt that they would be far better employed dealing with crime, petty vandalism, drugs and joyriding in the villages.’
- ‘Inspector McComb said that in terms of joyriding, the latest incident showed the dangers involved.’
- ‘Det Sgt Nick Draper of Pudsey CID said: ‘This is a terrible incident and highlights the awful dangers of joyriding.’’
- ‘The bill proposed making joyriding a criminal offence and provided penalties of up to seven years in prison.’
- ‘They made no attempt to come and catch them in the act, so they stole the car, used it for joyriding, and burnt it out a couple of streets away.’
- ‘I have no idea who did this - it is one step from joyriding.’
- ‘As a child and adolescent, he had numerous encounters with law enforcement for joyriding, theft, burglary, fraud, assault and battery.’
- ‘Graffiti, joyriding, drugs and illicit sex are all about countering boredom with excitement, and feeling insignificant with feeling important.’
- ‘However, they also hope the operation will reduce overall crime levels in the area including drug dealing, burglaries, car thefts, and joyriding.’
- ‘Thefts of motor vehicles - including joyriding - have decreased by 13 per cent.’
- ‘In Ireland we have a fairly serious problem developing with teen joyriding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.