One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or practice of driving fast and dangerously in a stolen car for enjoyment.
- ‘However, they also hope the operation will reduce overall crime levels in the area including drug dealing, burglaries, car thefts, and joyriding.’
- ‘He said that drugs, robbery and joyriding were rife and claimed that some streets were nothing more than ghettos.’
- ‘In many states, that has been changed by statute, particularly for crimes like joyriding.’
- ‘The types of delinquency ranged from low-level stuff like being rowdy on a street corner, to theft from home and school, up to housebreaking, joyriding and robbery.’
- ‘Some cars were just used for joyriding and dumped, but others may have been stolen to order or fitted with fake plates and sold.’
- ‘I have no idea who did this - it is one step from joyriding.’
- ‘Thefts of motor vehicles - including joyriding - have decreased by 13 per cent.’
- ‘After the crash Gareth's father said he had taken six of his son's friends to the chapel of rest to warn them of the dangers of so-called joyriding.’
- ‘‘The whole area of joyriding and juvenile crime is indicative of how ineffective our justice system has become,’ he added.’
- ‘Graffiti, joyriding, drugs and illicit sex are all about countering boredom with excitement, and feeling insignificant with feeling important.’
- ‘They made no attempt to come and catch them in the act, so they stole the car, used it for joyriding, and burnt it out a couple of streets away.’
- ‘The bill proposed making joyriding a criminal offence and provided penalties of up to seven years in prison.’
- ‘Said Mr Wills: ‘Careless driving and joyriding has to be stopped.’’
- ‘Many of the younger criminals have graduated from joyriding and burglary in their teens to crimes such as drug-dealing.’
- ‘Inspector McComb said that in terms of joyriding, the latest incident showed the dangers involved.’
- ‘In Ireland we have a fairly serious problem developing with teen joyriding.’
- ‘Det Sgt Nick Draper of Pudsey CID said: ‘This is a terrible incident and highlights the awful dangers of joyriding.’’
- ‘Residents have complained that the area has become run-down, suffers at the hands of thugs intent on joyriding and burglary.’
- ‘As a child and adolescent, he had numerous encounters with law enforcement for joyriding, theft, burglary, fraud, assault and battery.’
- ‘It was felt that they would be far better employed dealing with crime, petty vandalism, drugs and joyriding in the villages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.