Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A ride for enjoyment in a vehicle or aircraft.
- ‘There's a tracking device in every ship, in case someone decides to go for a joyride or something like this.’
- ‘They forget to say ten of those deaths have been due to joyrides.’
- ‘Eventually we catch him with our bike as he goes for a joyride right back to where he stole it from.’
- ‘It is, alas, an all-too-familiar scene on the streets of Rochdale as car crime soars and thieves think nothing of ending a night's joyride by destroying the vehicle.’
- ‘The local couple, who have lived in the town for over 31 years, were subjected to a horrendous level of violence in pursuit of a few quid and the chance of a joyride.’
- ‘They believe their pride and joy may have been used on a joyride.’
- ‘A police spokesman said the incident appeared to have been a joyride.’
- ‘His joyride ended in a horrific crash which put him in a coma and left him disabled, destroying his life.’
- ‘We weren't necessarily good kids, so we used to scheme about the usual: joyrides, smoking cigarettes, raiding the liquor cabinets and more.’
- ‘She said she feared for her life when a man who was testing her car, with her as passenger, embarked on a crazed high-speed joyride and refused to stop.’
- ‘The FBI in Atlanta is telling us this was more a joyride than anything else, and that there is no indication that terrorism had anything to do with the stealing of this jet.’
- ‘Mr Hinchliffe recorded a verdict of death by misadventure and said a joyride had ended in the ‘most appalling tragedy’.’
- 1.1informal A fast and dangerous ride in a stolen vehicle.‘kids stealing cars for a Saturday night joyride’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.