- another name for Jupiter
dated An exclamation indicating surprise or used for emphasis.‘by Jove, that's a cold wind’
- ‘It's a difficult act to pull off, but by Jove, they've done it.’
- ‘But it's hawkwatch season and by Jove we're committed to watching hawks.’
- ‘Sure we got beaten week in and week out, but by Jove we had some fun.’
- ‘I believe in what man can do, and by Jove, he's done some pretty marvellous things.’
- ‘And by Jove, I always try to give young entertainers a break whenever I can!’
From Latin Jov-, stem of Old Latin Jovis, replaced later by Jupiter. The exclamation by Jove dates from the late 16th century.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.