One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin stick consisting of a substance that burns slowly and with a fragrant smell, used as incense.
- ‘However, smoking is not the only way that cannabis can be consumed, it can be baked into cakes and biscuits, made into tea or even just burned in a room like a joss stick, all of which are harmless.’
- ‘Some people spent more than 400,000 yuan to gain the right to plant the first joss stick in various temples.’
- ‘The fire started in Cemetery Road last night when a plant pot caught fire after a joss stick was left unattended.’
- ‘Bowing down, they will burn joss sticks and pray for blessings and protection.’
- ‘And with it, the scent of fame and glamour and money wafted under her nose, pungent and alluring as any joss stick.’
- ‘It's a Chinese tradition to have a joss stick counter outside their temples, so devotees can light them and leave when there is no time to actually walk in and pray.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.