One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a humorous or flippant manner.‘I commented jokingly that they could still win if they kicked a goal every minute’‘he is jokingly referred to as the Dinosaur’
- ‘When they were developing cubism, they called each other Orville and Wilbur because they jokingly compared their enterprise to pioneering powered flight.’
- ‘At one point, the two jokingly compare their family's history to a Zola novel.’
- ‘She jokingly mentioned that her maternal great-great-grandmother was the long-time mistress of Charles's great-great-grandfather, Edward VII.’
- ‘I jokingly call them the thoroughly modern Mennonites.’
- ‘He jokingly called us the "A" students for our industriousness.’
- ‘The mayor jokingly suggests traditional activities that take place in darkened movie theaters to help the audience preserve their precious body heat.’
- ‘He also jokingly notes that the film didn't do very well in Germany.’
- ‘When I talk to the police, they jokingly refer to my sister as "the living dead."’
- ‘Relocated temporarily to Los Angeles, the acerbic videomaker says (jokingly, we hope) that this is his final video.’
- ‘After almost 45 minutes of listening, I jokingly interrupted to ask if they would humor me by playing a game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.