One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a humorous or flippant manner.‘I commented jokingly that they could still win if they kicked a goal every minute’‘he is jokingly referred to as the Dinosaur’
- ‘At one point, the two jokingly compare their family's history to a Zola novel.’
- ‘I jokingly call them the thoroughly modern Mennonites.’
- ‘She jokingly mentioned that her maternal great-great-grandmother was the long-time mistress of Charles's great-great-grandfather, Edward VII.’
- ‘He also jokingly notes that the film didn't do very well in Germany.’
- ‘When I talk to the police, they jokingly refer to my sister as "the living dead."’
- ‘After almost 45 minutes of listening, I jokingly interrupted to ask if they would humor me by playing a game.’
- ‘Relocated temporarily to Los Angeles, the acerbic videomaker says (jokingly, we hope) that this is his final video.’
- ‘The mayor jokingly suggests traditional activities that take place in darkened movie theaters to help the audience preserve their precious body heat.’
- ‘He jokingly called us the "A" students for our industriousness.’
- ‘When they were developing cubism, they called each other Orville and Wilbur because they jokingly compared their enterprise to pioneering powered flight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.