Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An oil extracted from the seeds of an American shrub, widely used in cosmetics.
- ‘Organic jojoba oil and aloe vera gel star in this thick conditioner that softens dry, damaged hair.’
- ‘However, huge quantities of seeds requiring a large investment will be needed to use jojoba oil as a diesel alternative.’
- ‘Applying moisturizing creams (with ingredients like jojoba oil, aloe and vitamin E) daily will help prevent dryness and cracks, keeping cuticles looking neat and making cutting unnecessary.’
- ‘Your first option is to apply a mixture of frankincense essential oil, lavender essential oil, and jojoba oil to your scar.’
- ‘If you prefer a perfumed oil, combine 10 to 20 drops of any essential oil and 1 ounce of jojoba oil in a glass bottle with an airtight lid.’
- ‘Sometimes referred to as hair masks, these deep-conditioning products often contain amino acids, panthenol, balsam, shea butter, and sweet almond or jojoba oil.’
- ‘The scientists used a mixture of 2 drops thyme, 3 drops lavender, 3 drops rosemary and 2 drops of cedar oils in a base of 20 ml grapeseed oil and 3 ml jojoba oil.’
- ‘We also use organic aloe vera gel, sunflower oil, jojoba oil and tea tree oil, to name a few.’
- ‘For an extra-gentle moisturizer, use cold-pressed olive oil or jojoba oil.’
- ‘The lipsticks contain shea butter to smooth and protect the lips, along with rose petal extracts, almond and jojoba oil.’
- ‘Look for products with calendula oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, or almond oil, and avoid sodium lauryl sulfate if possible.’
- ‘Eco Lips organic lip balm is also petroleum free and uses 70 percent certified organic ingredients, such as beeswax, calendula, jojoba oil and peppermint oil.’
- ‘Blend together five drops each of jojoba oil, evening primrose oil and carrot oil and three drops of rosemary essential oil with 30 millilitres of slightly warmed castor oil.’
- ‘Colored and/or processed hair needs moisture-drenching ingredients like jojoba oil, olive oil, lanolin, almond oil and shea butter, to help lock in moisture and prevent brittle strands.’
- ‘One of the largest and longest-running outdoor markets in Southern California, this year-round market offers uniquely West Coast items such as jojoba oil and fresh avocados.’
- ‘Most natural makeup bases use products such as jojoba oil and candelilla wax instead of petrochemicals such as mineral oil (a gasoline production by-product), says Upton.’
- ‘Blend together thoroughly 50 millilitres jojoba oil, 40 millilitres almond oil, 10 millilitres wheat germ oil and 10 drops of lavender oil, adding the lavender oil last.’
- ‘Almond oil, a light olive oil or jojoba oil can all work as base oils.’
- ‘Shampoos that contain jojoba oil or tea tree oil help eliminate oily deposits and reduce shedding.’
- ‘Some to try: grapefruit, cypress, juniper, clary sage or lemon added to a base of jojoba oil for a massage or bath oil.’
2The leathery-leaved evergreen shrub or small tree that produces these seeds, native chiefly to the southwestern US. It is grown to prevent desertification as well as for its seeds.
- ‘These tiny spheres, derived from the seeds of the jojoba plant, are uniform in size and shape and are far less irritating to the skin.’
- ‘Oil from the jojoba shrub, commonly used in cosmetics, may prove to be another alternative to diesel fuel.’
- ‘We also learn that the jojoba, or Simmondsia chinensis, helped save the sperm whale, after it was discovered that oil from the plant had properties similar to whale oil and could be used to lubricate high-speed machinery.’
Early 20th century: from Mexican Spanish.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.