One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A length of timber or steel supporting part of the structure of a building, typically arranged in parallel series to support a floor or ceiling.
purlin, girder, spar, support, strut, stay, brace, scantling, batten, transom, lintel, stringer, baulk, board, timber, plank, lath, rafterView synonyms
- ‘Reflective systems are typically located between roof rafters, floor joists, or wall studs.’
- ‘Attach a block to each of the exposed joists where the joist meets the deck board using four 3-in. #8 exterior screws.’
- ‘There was nothing spectacular about the construction, the walls were brick and the ceiling joists heavy timber.’
- ‘It's ok to nail the upper wall plates into the upper floor joists.’
- ‘Suspended ceilings are hung from the ceiling joists with a metal grid.’
- ‘Kip chose oriented strand board for the subfloors and sheathing, with floor joists made of a similar material.’
- ‘Determine the height of the new ceiling you want and install new ceiling joists from opposite roof joists.’
- ‘Use plywood walk boards or wooden planks over the ceiling joists for support.’
- ‘Batts are made to fit between the studs in your walls or between the joists of your ceilings or floors.’
- ‘Otherwise, wood furring strips are first nailed to the old ceiling or joists and the new files are stapled to these.’
- ‘Ledgers are often placed at the same level as the floor joists of the first floor, and this automatically solves the problem.’
- ‘If your attic has metal joists, you may want to place rigid foam insulation between the joists and the ceiling drywall.’
- ‘Painted metal decking supported by steel joists forms its underside.’
- ‘The two adjustable arms attach to the ceiling joists to support the fan in the desired location.’
- ‘If you are unable to screw directly into the ceiling joists, the use of toggle bolts is permitted.’
- ‘Otherwise, wood furring strips can be nailed to the old ceiling or joists and the new tiles are stapled to these.’
- ‘These strips, or tracks, are attached to the ceiling joists and support the tiles.’
- ‘Do not step through attic floor joists onto the ceiling of the room below.’
- ‘Often, reflective insulation materials have flanges that are to be stapled to joists in attics or floors, or to wall studs.’
- ‘Then toenail the joist through the joist into the girder.’
Late Middle English giste, from Old French, ‘beam supporting a bridge’, based on Latin jacere ‘lie down’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.