One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames, viewed collectively.
- ‘The house has highly decorated interiors with lavish plasterwork, inlaid floors and exquisite joinery.’
- ‘Router bits and shaper cutters are available in several profiles, making it easy to achieve traditional door frame joinery.’
- ‘So, as of this weekend, my home is filled with furniture which was previously in my grandmother's unit, most of it in the same dark joinery of my home.’
- ‘Teak furniture is generally all made with mortise and tendon joinery.’
- ‘This rawness plays against the finesse of the timber joinery and gives the interiors a fresh edge.’
- ‘Timber framing refers to a specific type of post and beam construction in which solid wood timbers are joined by means of traditional wooden joinery.’
- ‘The cost of joinery in the main debating chamber has more than doubled, from £5m to almost £12m.’
- ‘They toured the house, which is in an intact state with all its original plaster-work, joinery and fireplaces, and much of the original furniture.’
- ‘A log building expert analyzed features such as handwrought nails, log joinery, and floor plans.’
- ‘Working alone, Stevens produces his furniture from resawn veneers and air-dried solid wood using traditional joinery.’
- ‘That sensibility is inevitably - and necessarily manifest in the components and joinery of the building.’
- ‘Botched proportions, crude swing-hinge ‘Georgian’ windows and clumsy joinery are the norm.’
- ‘Most lattice panels of this region and period were made of many small components held together by complex joinery.’
- ‘He and his colleagues repair roofs, aluminum joinery and vertical walls of skyscrapers.’
- ‘In this way it can help the owner of a property to get the right sort of windows, joinery or plaster finish on their building.’
- ‘Connoisseurs of American furniture have always taken a hard line about joinery.’
- ‘The massive walls work well as heat sinks, but the beautiful timber walls, with all their complex joinery, are too porous to hold heat.’
- ‘It boasts many original features including joinery, fireplaces, window boxes and timber ceilings.’
- ‘To make a room feel more spacious, use cool colours and paint joinery and walls the same shade.’
- ‘There is an excellent range of colours and it makes superb flooring panelling, joinery and furniture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.