One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exuberant enjoyment of life.
gaiety, cheerfulness, cheeriness, merriment, light-heartedness, happiness, joy, joyfulness, joyousness, delight, pleasure, high spirits, spiritedness, jollity, jolliness, joviality, exuberance, ebullience, liveliness, vivacity, enthusiasm, enjoyment, verve, gusto, relish, animation, effervescence, sparkle, buoyancy, sprightliness, jauntiness, zest, zestfulnessView synonyms
- ‘Scarlatti's Sinfonia's are entertaining works, full of the zest and joie de vivre that is attributed to late baroque Italian music.’
- ‘‘Denise is lovely, full of vitality and joie de vivre,’ she adds.’
- ‘‘He is an experienced scientist who has joie de vivre,’ says Kennard.’
- ‘We've completed three years, and in keeping with the spirit of joie de vivre, the channel's look too has evolved.’
- ‘A rapport arises between them and over a few days, they hit the town together, each rediscovering their joie de vivre and zest for life.’
- ‘But she doesn't help her cause much when she repeatedly telegraphs her character's joie de vivre by bounding rabbitlike into scenes.’
- ‘Today, that spirit shines through in his live show, where he is truly able to showcase every ounce of his good-natured charm and joie de vivre.’
- ‘‘He was bouncy, ebullient and filled with joie de vivre,’ said Daley.’
- ‘Other times, the day shows benevolence and gives you a freephone number for your day, filling you with joie de vivre and pizzazz.’
- ‘Compared with the composer's own reading, it lacks brightness, gaiety, joie de vivre if you will.’
- ‘Yet there is a good humour and joie de vivre that is often missing at the more formal Ascot meeting.’
- ‘There was free and uninhibited dancing and a spirit of joie de vivre among the artists, who have an attractive stage presence.’
- ‘Red is for passion, red is for exuberance, red is for pure energy and joie de vivre.’
- ‘We will remember Liza, her beautiful smile and joie de vivre, and strive to model ourselves on her positive outlook.’
- ‘Arts provide fine remastering and an up to the minute recording that truly encompasses the spirit and joie de vivre of these performances.’
- ‘And when that happens, Indonesia's left-for-dead film industry will suddenly show joie de vivre once again.’
- ‘A lot has been made of their euphoric, ecstatic joie de vivre, but I have to say that mainly I find the overall tone rather irritating.’
- ‘But it's her wonderfully innocent joie de vivre and youthful exuberance that captured my heart.’
- ‘And Pakistan played some memorable cricket with youthful zest and joie de vivre.’
- ‘One of fashion's most sought-after and charismatic photographers, Mario Testino's name is synonymous with images of glamour, style and joie de vivre.’
French, literally ‘joy of living’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.