Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The chief variety of the Riesling wine grape, originating in Germany and widely grown in California and elsewhere.
- ‘Several different grape varieties include Riesling in their name, including the Johannisbergs or White Rieslings of California.’
- ‘Riesling, or more specifically Johannisberg Riesling is one of the oldest and noblest of all white wine grapes.’
- ‘Late harvest Johannisberg Rieslings are very sweet, and make excellent dessert wines.’
- ‘For example, I now know that Johannisberg Rieslings are a pretty safe bet for my limited palette.’
- 1.1 A white wine made from the Johannisberg grape.
- ‘True Riesling wine is sometimes hard to identify because it is sold as both Johannisberg Riesling and White Riesling in North America.’
- ‘It was suggested that the only American Riesling worth drinking is the Johannisberg variety, so I was pleased that was the one that Ian kindly left us in our fridge.’
- ‘Some success has even been achieved in making dry-styled Gewurztraminers and Johannisberg Rieslings from Russian River Valley grapes.’
- ‘In the summer, enjoy a chilled glass of Johannisberg Riesling with fresh strawberries and cheeses.’
- ‘Hogue Cellars and Hyatt Vineyards both have excellent Johannisberg Rieslings that pair wonderfully with steamed crab or tarragon grilled chicken.’
- ‘At Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars in Hammondsport, they have already released their 2004 vintage Dry and Johannisberg Rieslings.’
- ‘He bought a bottle of 2003 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Johannisberg Riesling.’
- ‘Both the dry & off-dry Johannisberg Rieslings are really good there too.’
- ‘The bright flavors of our Johannisberg Riesling are especially delicious with lighter foods, such as appetizers, salads, smoked cold cuts and cheeses.’
- ‘This Johannisberg Riesling has refreshing honeysuckle flavor with hints of peach and apricot and a long and pleasant finish.’
- ‘Other names for true Riesling are Johannisberg Riesling (named after the famed Schloss Johannisberg) and White Riesling.’
- ‘Flowery Traminers and Johannisberg Rieslings are made by Worden's Washington Winery, outside Spokane.’
From the name of a castle and village on the Rhine, Germany, where it was originally produced.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.