One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song, refrain, or cadence sung in time to marching.
- ‘The military also objected to the rhyming boot camp chants, or ‘Jody calls’, by the jogging soldiers in the film.’
- ‘There are many different Jody calls and it would be impossible to identify the ‘latest’ cadence as these are being made up all the time.’
- ‘As they get closer to the main base, the Jody calls get louder until they reach the Parade Deck.’
- ‘Gone, too, are the Jody calls, cadences in which a back-home character named Jody was ruining a soldier's life.’
- ‘I marched to those old Jody calls while serving my country and they didn't offend me and nobody around me was offended either.’
- ‘Many students have xeroxed booklets of Jody calls and brought them in, thrilled to have perplexed their fellow workers.’
- ‘But still, a doughboy with a W.W.I Jody call is hard to imagine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.