Full-length trousers, worn for horseback riding, that are close-fitting below the knee and have reinforced patches on the inside of the leg.
- ‘Opt for jeans or jodhpurs depending on which style you ride.’
- ‘Look at my dad, spiffed up in jodhpurs, ready to ride that bay mare he loved.’
- ‘It's been a very long time since anyone came to the hall in either red coat or jodhpurs.’
- ‘This is western riding after all, although jodhpurs and hard hats are equally welcome.’
- ‘She rides horses and wears jodhpurs, carries a whip, does daring-do with bad guys and ends up sweeping the hero off his feet as well.’
Late 19th century: named after Jodhpur, where similar garments are worn by Indian men as part of everyday dress.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.