One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A support or protection for the male genitals, worn especially by athletes.
sportswoman, sportsman, sportspersonView synonyms
- ‘He used to peel down to his jockstrap, muscles glistening, sly grin flashing, while firing cryptic answers at the media, which he loathed.’
- ‘I tried many styles of underwear and jockstraps looking for something to wear that would keep me from chafing when I bike and run.’
- ‘I remember Auntie Mame as having the first jockstrap joke I ever encountered.’
- ‘Every guy that's ever put on a jockstrap has gone through it, no matter how good you are, and they're just miserable things.’
- ‘By the by, Thompson went out trick or treating, as they say, last Halloween wearing nothing but a turban, a jockstrap and some lipstick, he says.’
- ‘‘Kids today are not wearing jockstraps,’ answered spokesperson Jenny Shulman matter-of-factly.’
- ‘He even went so far as to take a crew of reporters with him while he went to a sporting goods store to buy a jockstrap.’
- ‘No one wants to ruffle anyone else's jockstraps.’
- ‘You're the one who left his lucky jockstrap on the field.’
- ‘Though I've yet to come across any program involving a jockstrap fashion show, I figure Jenny Jones has to get to it eventually.’
- ‘Still, I'll say this for Kennedy: at least he never dragged the press along to watch him buy a jockstrap.’
- ‘Brian could see that the man was wearing a jockstrap.’
- ‘It would be like giving her a jockstrap or a cheeseburger.’
- ‘‘We have to wear jockstraps though,’ he adds, wincing.’
- ‘He also likes to wear the same jockstrap throughout the campaign.’
- ‘Many Buffalo fans had their jockstraps in knots over the players who left the Bills in the offseason.’
- ‘I think, however, that boys should start wearing protective gear like jockstraps even at the 5th grade level.’
- ‘And then one time a jockstrap that I wore when I did Cabaret ended up on eBay.’
- ‘Another polo acquaintance stole one of Rubi's jockstraps and nailed it up in the barn where he kept his breeding stallions, as a good luck charm.’
- ‘Enter the junkyard jungle gym and slowly clamber through it, stripping to your jockstrap at the halfway mark.’
Late 19th century: from slang jock ‘genitals’(of unknown origin) + strap.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.