One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Tiny multicolored sugar shapes, typically rods and balls, used for decorating cakes, ice cream, and other desserts; sprinkles.
- ‘Yes, I suppose you could just use all-black jimmies and make a spider cake.’
- ‘Cover two-thirds of the bombe with red jimmies, and the other third with black jimmies, use Oreos as spots, marshmallows as eyes, and some black licorice as antennae, and voilà! - a ladybug cake.’
- ‘Try to end up at Dad's for a Balboa Bar - vanilla ice cream on a stick dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts or jimmies.’
- ‘Try this method with jimmies and sprinkles as well.’
- ‘It looks like vanilla ice cream with rainbow jimmies out front.’
- ‘Anything you may need for decorating such as food coloring, colored sugars and jimmies, or pastry bags for piping frosting.’
- ‘Set against an eye-popping green background is an arrangement of vivid candies and pink ice-cream cones with multicolored jimmies.’
- ‘He had to stop walking only to marvel at it for a moment or two, to just gaze in awe at the shaved rock wall extending ten feet into the air, complete with barbed wire sprinkling the top like menacing jimmies or candy pieces on some sort of delicious dessert.’
- ‘With a few common trimmings - colored jimmies, crystal sugar, mini chocolate chips, red hots - Christmas treats take shape.’
- ‘Mine came out messy with the jimmies spilling over the bowl and onto the counter while Casey's was like a perfect temple.’
- ‘You want to use all brown jimmies, so that you can fashion a cake resembling an engorged wood tick?’
- ‘I also felt that way about a burger, saltwater taffy, caramel corn, three slices of pizza, vanilla custard with rainbow jimmies and a cupcake.’
- ‘My neighbor says she's having a Western-themed party, and I have visions of cacti bristling with emerald-green jimmies, cowboy hats in white or blue-black sanding sugar, boots, jalapenos, and silver stars shining with dragees.’
- ‘Cut into shapes and sprinkle with sugar or jimmies.’
- ‘I began to suspect as much when I went shopping for storage containers to hold my jars of jimmies, nonpareils, sanding sugars, edible glitter, and three different sizes of silver and gold dragees.’
- ‘To decorate: Gather royal icing, cake-decorating sugar, jimmies, colored sprinkles, miniature chocolate chips, and/or red-hot candies.’
- ‘We contemplated bins and endless bins behind finger-smeared glass of nuts and jimmies and cookie crumbs.’
- ‘Some things that you can place on your cookies before baking are: colored sugars or natural sugars such as pearl sugar jimmies, non-pareils, silver and gold dragées, and other sprinkles raisins and dried fruits such as cranberries.’
- ‘Whether in a cup or a cone - single or double dip - and sprinkled with chocolate or rainbow jimmies, ice cream evokes happy memories.’
- 1.1 (especially in the US Northeast) chocolate rod-shaped sprinkles.
- ‘Where others see mounds of ice cream topped by whipped cream and chocolate jimmies, I see myself flossing hunks of corn and pepper out of my teeth!’
- ‘Inspect Mr. Softee trucks for cross-pollination of rainbow and chocolate jimmies.’
- ‘It's basically chocolate sprinkles (or "jimmies") except that you're supposed to eat 'em on bread.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.