One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A moment.‘we'll be back in a jiffy’
very soon, soon, in a second, in a minute, in a moment, in a trice, in a flash, shortly, directly, any second, any minute, any minute now, in a short time, in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time, in no time at all, in less than no time, before you know it, before longView synonyms
- ‘Maintenance Man tells me he'll be up to my office in a jiffy.’
- ‘But a scolding from Ms. Gopi did the trick, and every one, child and parent, hastened to set matters right, and cleared the litter in a jiffy.’
- ‘Recommended software upgrades can be brought down in a jiffy.’
- ‘It's some weird bug, and I'm sure it'll be fixed up in a jiffy.’
- ‘Blog surfers can sniff out insincerity in a jiffy.’
- ‘This is the sort of movie that will either keep you enthralled at each moment or send you to sleep in a jiffy.’
- ‘As box-office receipts have proven that he is no longer infallible, it should be a breeze to walk up to him and become his friend in a jiffy!’
- ‘If you have athlete's foot, you need to go see a chemist and get an antifungal cream, which will clear it up in a jiffy.’
- ‘After all, it's the very industry that gave us the concept of ‘quick and dirty’ - you know, solutions conjured up in a jiffy to meet the pressing needs of customers.’
- ‘That ruffles feathers on a council whose performance most Monday nights, let's be honest, will fix the insomnia that's troubling you in a jiffy.’
- ‘On display was the Honda fireblade, a 929 cc, four - cylinder bike that can propel the rider to a top speed of 280 km per hour in a jiffy.’
- ‘If one wanted a different look, perspective or elevation, it's done in a jiffy on readymade steel frames by hundreds of skilled workers at hand.’
Late 18th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.