One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spar run out forward as an extension of the bowsprit.
- ‘The 7-ton crane can handle 600 pounds at full extension of the jib boom at 82 feet, or 2500 pounds at 60 feet.’
- ‘She was still scarred after her encounters with icebergs so proper repairs to her jury-rigged jib boom were a top priority.’
- ‘That pressure also flows to the slave cylinder to provide additional lifting force to the jib boom.’
- ‘Hovering over the jib boom you see two large anchors lying on deck.’
- ‘Despite the weather, the ship's two carpenters were busy and by the 26th they were able to replace the jib boom.’
jib boom/ˈjib ˌbo͞om/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.