One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large sporting or food fish of warm coastal waters.
- ‘How can you choose between the ocean trout, jewfish, gemfish, barramundi, blue eye and flathead on the menu?’
- ‘Apparently, he is usually seen in the summer when a female jewfish shows up to keep him company.’
- ‘It is guarded by a large resident moray eel and jewfish.’
- ‘The white water that can be stirred up with a little wind often produces the conditions from which we can catch good tailor and jewfish.’
- ‘In the early stages of the dirty water, there were some very nice large jewfish caught off both the north and south walls.’
- ‘Today's photo is a dream of nearly all anglers, to catch two jewfish this size.’
- ‘There have also been some good jewfish and tailor taken from the headlands and breakwalls.’
- ‘Already there is a little colour in the water, which should be great for bream and jewfish around the entrances.’
- ‘Across the cave, the jewfish is being cleaned by some minute gobies.’
- ‘There are also, in separate sections, adult turtles and big fish like jewfish, tarpon, snook and stingrays.’
- ‘Last Sunday off Evans Head, nearly every boat returning to port had a nice catch of fish - snapper, teraglin, flathead and jewfish.’
- ‘There are many good jewfish lures on the market.’
- ‘He appears just as I'm about to start on a roasted jewfish with prawns, and offers a sturdy paw.’
- ‘I saw one angler take three big jewfish all on his homemade lures.’
- ‘There have been good reports of tailor from Ballina's north wall and Patches Beach, and at least three large jewfish from the north wall.’
- ‘The photo today is of a good catch of jewfish from offshore at Evans Head.’
- ‘Hunted nearly to extinction, the shy, greenish-grey jewfish made a comeback in these waters when laws to protect them were passed in 1990.’
- ‘The best report I've heard to date was of good numbers of jewfish coming from the Ballina South Wall in the rough water caused by the wind and rain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.