One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Propulsion by the backward ejection of a high-speed jet of gas or liquid.
- ‘I don't know that it's something we could be made to understand, as if it were jet propulsion or differential calculus.’
- ‘Many of the new developments - radar, jet propulsion, ballistic missiles, the atomic bomb - were developed largely or entirely in the course of the war.’
- ‘Awkward swimmers, frogfish overcome this problem by using jet propulsion to improve their poor swimming ability.’
- ‘Evolution, or whatever passes for it in Dalekland, means they now have a form of jet propulsion that enables them to fly.’
- ‘The vessel's shallow draft and water jet propulsion give it tremendous flexibility and maneuverability over conventional ship forms.’
- ‘Locomotion in cephalopods is accomplished mainly by jet propulsion.’
- ‘Cruise missiles are typically low-flying guided missiles that use jet propulsion to allow sustained flight.’
- ‘Chabot played decades before the advent of television, jet propulsion, and the Internet.’
- ‘All larvae that were rejected after an attack were alive as determined by movements of legs and jet propulsion.’
- ‘Each story was a report, essentially a series of gags, rather than a story with its own comic jet propulsion.’
- ‘The principle of jet propulsion involves one of Newton's Laws of Motion.’
- ‘He simply did not understand nuclear power, jet propulsion, or the new space age.’
- ‘And before this venture, she worked at NASA's jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena.’
- ‘The pilot returned to his writing and work on a system of jet propulsion.’
- ‘A commuter van from NASA's jet propulsion laboratory tumbled 20 feet down a mountain road this morning.’
- ‘Part of the body cavity has become an organ for jet propulsion.’
- ‘He's a man with many of America's jet propulsion geniuses under his purview.’
- ‘The combination of the twin hull and water jet propulsion provides very high and very responsive manoeuvrability.’
- ‘The move comes at a time when jet propulsion is taking over in this segment, previously dominated by turbo - prop engines.’
- ‘With a jet propulsion motor, retracting wheels and a speedboat-like hull, the Aquada's makers say it is powerful enough to pull a water-skier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.