Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Moved by jet propulsion.
- ‘The Bell XP - 59A was America's first jet-propelled aircraft.’
- ‘On our whirling globe with its transitory, jet-propelled people, isolation is no longer the demoralising fate it once was.’
- ‘But the action moves at jet-propelled speed in Braham Murray's production and the dialogue is bright, sharp and funny.’
- ‘On another occasion, there's a lengthy chase that involves jet-propelled backpacks.’
- ‘In Desert Storm, a jet-propelled cruise missile used two electronic guidance systems and cost about a million dollars.’
- ‘It heralded the advent of jet-propelled flight and the gradual demise of the piston-engined combat aircraft.’
- ‘Look out, Tesco: an amateur inventor has built the world's first jet-propelled shopping trolley.’
- ‘The computer link flew out of his hand as if jet-propelled.’
- ‘The development and perfection of radar and the techniques for using it effectively are as important as the development of the jet-propelled plane.’
- ‘He also uses his body intelligently, leaping from his chair with jet-propelled force on accused of being a ‘traitor‘.’
- ‘Petr picked up a coloured fish early in the day, an eleven pounder that fought as though jet-propelled.’
- ‘Meanwhile across town, David was still running like a jet-propelled bunny.’
- ‘Once he was away, he was jet-propelled and nobody would catch him.’
- ‘When it came to the ‘A’ Final and a head-to-head with yours truly, he made a jet-propelled getaway and left me eating dirt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.