One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Yet many of these cathedrals looked grander than they were, and design faults, or perhaps jerry-building, caused a number of fiascos.’
- ‘If there was jerry-building, it was more likely to have been the result of haste - the impossible demands of an impatient emperor.’
- ‘To the rear is seen the invasion of the jerry-building that must serve the poorer man who wishes to live in a ‘free-standing’ house.’
- ‘If the apprentice was caught doing any jerry-building he would find it at his feet knocked down with a hammer.’
- ‘As for the humorist-author, can the book he is jerry-building sell anywhere near so well as he almost desperately counts on?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.