Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nountrademark in UK
Tight-fitting stretch pants for women, styled to resemble a pair of denim jeans.
- ‘Staying comfortably ahead of the fashion pack, Nicola Roberts plumped for a pair of on-trend jeggings today.’
- ‘Skintight leggings and their denim hybrid, known as jeggings, were key for the looks of Russell Brand, Pete Doherty and Agyness Deyn.’
- ‘I toddled off to the changing rooms with a pair of black jeggings over my arm.’
- ‘Chances are, if you do not find skinny jeans or leggings a flattering choice for your figure, you won't find jeggings flattering either.’
- ‘The past craze for leggings has been replaced by this year's trend for jeggings, close-fitting leggings made of fabric that resembles denim in appearance.’
Early 21st century: blend of jeans and leggings.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.