One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Middle East and North Africa) a mountain or hill, or a range of hills.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘The huge jebels rise sheer from the sandy valley floor overshadowing the small but growing settlement of Rum.’
- ‘From the Batinah Coast to the west of Muscat along the base of the jebels are several key towns of special interest.’
- ‘A fine collection of these trees can also be found in Wadi Qahshan deep in the jebels beyond Mughsayl.’
- ‘When climbing on the jebels we will usually be following routes which have been used for generations by Bedouin hunters and shepherds.’
- ‘I climbed to the top of one of the small jebels and watched the sun begin to set before heading back to Rum.’
Colloquial Arabic form of jabal ‘mountain’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.