One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I would buy jarfuls and jarfuls of garlic pickles, and pay the regular price for them.’
- ‘Pack the peas into the jars, having them come to within 1/2 inch from the top, add 1 teaspoonful of salt to each jarful, and fill the jars with boiling water.’
- ‘If a guest is particularly enamored of the homemade zarzamora jam, the inn will send a jarful home.’
- ‘Later on, when the wine and water have got thoroughly mixed, he draws off another jarful and again fills up the pitcher with water.’
- ‘Nairobi, Kenya - Just beyond the gated community of Mountain View are the ‘jewakali’ shops that sell kerosene by the jarful to people living in corrugated-steel, dirt-floor shacks without electricity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.