One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Nairobi, Kenya - Just beyond the gated community of Mountain View are the ‘jewakali’ shops that sell kerosene by the jarful to people living in corrugated-steel, dirt-floor shacks without electricity.’
- ‘If a guest is particularly enamored of the homemade zarzamora jam, the inn will send a jarful home.’
- ‘Pack the peas into the jars, having them come to within 1/2 inch from the top, add 1 teaspoonful of salt to each jarful, and fill the jars with boiling water.’
- ‘Later on, when the wine and water have got thoroughly mixed, he draws off another jarful and again fills up the pitcher with water.’
- ‘I would buy jarfuls and jarfuls of garlic pickles, and pay the regular price for them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.