Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Chinese lantern
- ‘The Menorah light is a free-standing translucent pylon light and the Star of David is translated into two hanging lamps constructed like Japanese lanterns of white parchment.’
- ‘For the first time, Sikh community calligraphers joined Japanese calligraphers in writing messages of Peace and Friendship in Gurmukhi on beautiful Japanese lanterns.’
- ‘A small fountain sat in the center, the bubbling water sparkling brightly from the warm glow of hanging Japanese lanterns and a small scattering of patio torches.’
- ‘There were multicolored Japanese lanterns around the walls, and on the ceiling was a multicolored disco ball.’
- ‘There were little Japanese lanterns hanging everywhere, with compact fluorescent bulbs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.