One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall fast-growing Japanese plant of the dock family, with bamboolike stems and small white flowers. It has been grown as an ornamental but tends to become an aggressive weed.Also called Mexican bamboo
- ‘Response to Herbicides: Glyphosate has been shown to be effective in controlling Japanese knotweed under certain conditions.’
- ‘A Forum spokesman said: ‘Whole sections of riverbanks, woodlands and hedgerows have become choked by giant hogweed and Japanese knotweed, with the main casualties native wildflowers and herbs.’’
- ‘Coun Wild, who has had complaints from residents about Japanese knotweed growing into their gardens from council land, said: ‘Over the years it has spread voraciously and is now becoming a serious problem in parts of Kirklees.’’
- ‘The taxonomy and nomenclature of Japanese knotweed have changed often over time, resulting in references to it in three genera: Polygonum, Reynoutria, and Fallopia.’
- ‘The manual is as much to do with preventing an outbreak of Japanese knotweed in an area as it is to do with how to manage the weed once it is established.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.