One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
lady, girl, member of the fair sex, member of the gentle sex, femaleView synonyms
- ‘Not surprisingly, there are about three Joes for every Jane but even so, that means there are over 8 million Janes.’
- ‘Pretty much every Jane, Dick and Harry has a DVD writer in their PC system, DVD writers have become standard equipment.’
informal An unattractive girl or woman.
- ‘I was the skinny, flat chested plain Jane that was the abnormal one in my family.’
- ‘But then as realisation dawns that the array of beauty products have not after all kept their ‘promise’ of turning the plain Jane into a stunning beauty as in those alluring ads, the search for newer range begins.’
- ‘Its angle is to take a group of plain Janes, make them over into glamour girls, and then have them all take part in a season-ending beauty pageant.’
- ‘No guy had liked me before that and I had my doubts that a guy like him would really want life with a plain Jane like me.’
- ‘Sixteen plain Janes fight it out in an extreme new reality show in a bid to become a beauty queen.’
Early 20th century: from the given name Jane.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.