One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pajamas.‘Stan was sitting up in his bathrobe and jammies, with his newspaper and glasses in his lap’
- ‘Today, more than 1,000 stores nationwide carry her made-in-the-U.S.A. luxury jammies.’
- ‘Later we snuggled up in our jammies and had a nighttime snack.’
- ‘After baths, jammies, and brushing of teeth, we gather in the living room, the television turned off, the house quiet.’
- ‘I like to be home in my jammies, eating popcorn.’
- ‘They look great under jammies when I'm taking out the garbage in a squall.’
- ‘We dressed in our jammies because mom and dad knew we would fall asleep at some point.’
- ‘Sunday would bring NFL, a cozy blanket, and a day I'd not get out of my jammies.’
- ‘She says: "This is his time with the boys, so he's bathing them and we get them in their jammies and he's settling down to start reading them a story."’
- ‘There is much here to delight women's studies scholars, as well as folks who need a day home in their jammies with a big bowl of popcorn.’
- ‘After setting your alarm clock for 6:30 a.m. sharp, you put on your 'jammies, slide into bed and cruise straight off to Snooze City.’
- ‘Building stashes of possible fabrics makes the construction of color quilts possible even if we sew at midnight or dawn in our jammies.’
- ‘I have spent it the last several years in my jammies with my dog, both of us eating potato chips and chip dip and having a blast.’
- ‘I was in my 'jammies, watching General Hospital and sniffling because nurse Susan was lying on the linoleum, on account of someone stabbed her - quite fatally, as I recall.’
- ‘Granted, I still wear worn flannel jammies and drive a minivan, but now I remember to add the occasional shot of apricot nectar to my pulp-free juice.’
- ‘Whatever happened to flannel jammies?’
- ‘Because you know I can sit at midnight in my jammies with a glass of wine and I can shop.’
- ‘I came home, put my jammies back on, crawled into bed, only to be interrupted by a phone call from my father saying he was bringing over the couch that we are taking from him today.’
- ‘If slipping into your jammies and turning off the lights isn't enough to give you mental refreshment, or if stress and anxiety leave your brain a mess, try one of these mental-acuity agents.’
Early 20th century: alteration of pajamas.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.