A Cajun dish of rice with shrimp, chicken, and vegetables.
- ‘IF YOU like paella, you will like jambalaya, its distant cousin from southern Louisiana.’
- ‘Every year my dad makes jambalaya, a mix of rice, chicken, spices, red and green peppers, ham, and sausage.’
- ‘Now, instead of serving pita pockets or turkey sandwiches at lunch, the students are treated to roast beef with caramelized onions on a baguette or shrimp jambalaya with jalapeño cornbread.’
- ‘Last year I was in New Orleans and had plenty of gumbo, jambalaya, and crawfish étouffée.’
- ‘In a traditional jambalaya, chicken, sausage, ham, and chopped vegetables are cooked and added with seasonings and liquid to an iron pot full of rice.’
Louisiana French, from Provençal jambalaia.