One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person in charge of a jail or of the prisoners in it.
prison officer, warder, prison warder, wardress, prison wardress, warden, prison warden, guard, prison guard, keeper, incarcerator, captor, sentryView synonyms
- ‘She was trapped in a prison and her jailer refused to release her.’
- ‘According to press reports, the two British detainees have been told by their military jailers to plead guilty and accept 20-year prison sentences or go to trial and face certain conviction and the real threat of execution.’
- ‘After a deeply traumatic childhood, where his father left him to rot in Newgate prison, Sweeney takes violent revenge against the gaoler who tormented him in prison.’
- ‘The county's police force is recruiting civilian jailers - or custody support staff - as part of a shake-up of its custody services.’
- ‘In The Abduction from the Seraglio, in The Magic Flute, the prisoners will be guarded by jailers whose vigilance must be outwitted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.