One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in western Pennsylvania) a stupid, irritating, or contemptible person.
- ‘It might just be the jagoff in the computer terminal next to you, but you're competing!’
- ‘I'm hardly ever sick, I get along with pretty much everyone who isn't a total jagoff, I don't mind working late, and I'm ridiculously loyal.’
- ‘Over in Seattle, some jagoff comported himself (or herself) even more offensively as this anonymous writer tells it.’
- ‘He's a carpetbagging jagoff, and not a real Texan, no matter how much "brush" he "clears."’
- ‘First of all, I would like to say that he is just a total jagoff.’
1930s: from jackoff, perhaps influenced by jag.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.