One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fast-growing tropical Asian tree related to the breadfruit.
Artocarpus heterophyllus, family Moraceae
- ‘Fruit trees, like bananas, citrus, and jackfruit, are planted around the village.’
- ‘Coconut palms, jackfruit, mango, orange, lime, and rubber trees, as well as coffee bushes, were cultivated.’
- ‘The pens that once held thousands of pigs are empty now, but still there are the large, overhanging mango and jackfruit trees that attract the bats.’
- ‘Red mud paths dissect the vibrant green of paddy fields, the dense foliage of coconut, jackfruit, cashew, areca nut and bamboo plantations.’
- ‘Local art shops sell a range of items, from mass-produced woodcarvings to high-quality, handmade items made by recognized masters in fine-grained ebony, jackfruit or sandalwood.’
- 1.1 The very large edible fruit of the jackfruit tree, resembling a breadfruit and important as food in the tropics.
- ‘The fruit vendors are pushing their carts, selling ready-sliced watermelon and jackfruit, melon, mango and papaya, best eaten with a banana-leaf wrapped ball of sticky rice.’
- ‘One of the most intriguing fruits of its kind is the jackfruit, a close relative of the breadfruit, a starchy staple of most Caribbean diet.’
- ‘However, she warned diabetics to be wary of fruits with moderate calorific values such as mango, pomegranate and jackfruit, and high calorie fruits such as dates and grapes.’
- ‘On the Spice tour you will learn about fifty different spices and fruit that grow on the island, from cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, cloves, to jackfruit and sugarcane.’
- ‘The lunch, which costs Rs.50, commences with seasonal fruits, which include mango, jackfruit, grapes or any of the citrus varieties in the form of shake, chutney or salad.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese jaca (from Malayalam chakka) + fruit.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.