One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fast-growing tropical Asian tree related to the breadfruit.
Artocarpus heterophyllus, family Moraceae
- ‘Fruit trees, like bananas, citrus, and jackfruit, are planted around the village.’
- ‘The pens that once held thousands of pigs are empty now, but still there are the large, overhanging mango and jackfruit trees that attract the bats.’
- ‘Coconut palms, jackfruit, mango, orange, lime, and rubber trees, as well as coffee bushes, were cultivated.’
- ‘Red mud paths dissect the vibrant green of paddy fields, the dense foliage of coconut, jackfruit, cashew, areca nut and bamboo plantations.’
- ‘Local art shops sell a range of items, from mass-produced woodcarvings to high-quality, handmade items made by recognized masters in fine-grained ebony, jackfruit or sandalwood.’
- 1.1 The very large edible fruit of the jackfruit tree, resembling a breadfruit and important as food in the tropics.
- ‘On the Spice tour you will learn about fifty different spices and fruit that grow on the island, from cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, cloves, to jackfruit and sugarcane.’
- ‘The lunch, which costs Rs.50, commences with seasonal fruits, which include mango, jackfruit, grapes or any of the citrus varieties in the form of shake, chutney or salad.’
- ‘However, she warned diabetics to be wary of fruits with moderate calorific values such as mango, pomegranate and jackfruit, and high calorie fruits such as dates and grapes.’
- ‘One of the most intriguing fruits of its kind is the jackfruit, a close relative of the breadfruit, a starchy staple of most Caribbean diet.’
- ‘The fruit vendors are pushing their carts, selling ready-sliced watermelon and jackfruit, melon, mango and papaya, best eaten with a banana-leaf wrapped ball of sticky rice.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese jaca (from Malayalam chakka) + fruit.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.