One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pike or sauger, especially the northern pike.
- ‘The star turn is inevitably a shoal of " big-eye jackfishes ", of more than 100 individuals.’
- ‘We hovered for a while watching the sweepers being herded one way and then another by black grouper, squirrelfish and the occasional swooping jackfish.’
- ‘I especially enjoyed feeding my catches from the morning to the 3-4 foot long jackfishes cruising around the pier.’
- ‘You might target the king mackerel, the Gulf's most popular light-tackle species, but the next hit could be from a ling, a jackfish, a bonito, a dorado, a shark, a tuna, a wahoo - or something beyond a kid's wildest dreams.’
- ‘You can also clap eyes on large groups of bass and twirly pikes (luces or jackfishes).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.