One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pike or sauger, especially the northern pike.
- ‘You can also clap eyes on large groups of bass and twirly pikes (luces or jackfishes).’
- ‘I especially enjoyed feeding my catches from the morning to the 3-4 foot long jackfishes cruising around the pier.’
- ‘We hovered for a while watching the sweepers being herded one way and then another by black grouper, squirrelfish and the occasional swooping jackfish.’
- ‘The star turn is inevitably a shoal of " big-eye jackfishes ", of more than 100 individuals.’
- ‘You might target the king mackerel, the Gulf's most popular light-tackle species, but the next hit could be from a ling, a jackfish, a bonito, a dorado, a shark, a tuna, a wahoo - or something beyond a kid's wildest dreams.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.