One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A stupid person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘First, you had every right to break up with me because I was a complete jackass and a moron and you had every right.’
- ‘Please keep up the good work, including your relative distance from the Labor Party hack jackasses.’
- ‘He's a jackass with a cocky attitude, and he's the reason why you and I have barely seen each other over the last month.’
- ‘So then, I lined up the shot and it would've been a great goal but then some jackass from the other team sent a kick toward my knee and sent me sprawling to the ground.’
- ‘Hey beautiful… don't worry about the jackasses in the school, tomorrow you will be loved again.’
2A male ass or donkey.
- ‘Normally I'd view these matters with detachment, but to find a race-horse among jackasses is an exciting thing, and a great occasion for the empire.’
- ‘He could tame a stallion, breed a jackass, lead an army and charm the ladies.’
- ‘If he had the ears of a horse he'd look like a jackass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.