One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender long-legged wild dog that feeds on carrion, game, and fruit and often hunts cooperatively, found in Africa and southern Asia.
Genus Canis, family Canidae: four species, including the golden jackal (C. aureus) and the black-backed jackal (C. mesomelas)
- ‘Following on their heels are the predators of the savanna - lion, cheetah, wild dog, jackal, hyena and vultures.’
- ‘Canid rabies is commonly transmitted to cattle via the bite of carnivores such as jackals or dogs in Africa.’
- ‘Among cooperative breeders of certain other species, such as wolves and jackals, pups born in the same litter can be sired by different fathers.’
- ‘These forests are home to other unusual and endangered species, including the Asiatic jackal and silvered langur, many of which have also disappeared from Laos.’
- ‘Raccoons, civets, jackals, badgers, skunks, and bears also eat fruit, honey, seeds, roots, and other plant foods.’
- ‘Waldi warns us not to set up our beds outside the camp tonight as hyenas and jackals prowl this area.’
- ‘Only five percent of mammals are thought to be socially monogamous, including gibbons, jackals, and tamarins.’
- ‘The savanna landscape supports a small antelope species called Grimm's duiker, side striped jackals, and rare birds including Denham's bustard.’
- ‘There are 36 species of Canidae, including dogs, wolves, coyotes, jackals and foxes.’
- ‘No other animal species have so far died, but nature officials were worried that predators such as lions, vultures, jackals and hyena may feed off the flesh of the dead animals.’
- ‘Meat was abundant, for those who could catch it or wrest it from the competition, i.e. leopards and lions, not to mention hyenas, jackals, and vultures.’
- ‘Burrows which have been abandoned may be used for shelter by bats, ground squirrels, hares, cats, civets, hyenas, jackals, porcupines, monitor lizards, owls and warthogs.’
Early 17th century: from Turkish çakal, from Persian šagāl. The change in the first syllable was due to association with jack.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.