One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Honor, reputation, or prestige.‘the izzat of the household was at stake’
prestige, kudos, cachet, standing, stature, prestigiousness, reputation, repute, name, good name, regard, fame, note, renown, honour, esteem, estimation, image, account, rank, character, celebrity, importance, prominence, consequence, class, distinction, laurels, influence, weight, authority, supremacy, eminence, superiorityView synonyms
- ‘It's the power and prestige, respect, izzat, that becomes primary.’
- ‘‘We never get izzat anywhere in Gujarat,’ said another.’
- ‘To Asian families izzat - honour - is all important.’
- ‘The concept of dowry is so deeply rooted that even young women and men who seek to rebel against society by opposing dowry cannot do it wholeheartedly because there are issues of family honour (maanam, izzat, maan etc.) at stake.’
- ‘My brethren, for the sake of God and His Prophet do not come over here, for our people have no izzat, and nowadays we have two sirdars, Naslim Khan and Sarbaland Khan, who are such bad men as I have never come across before.’
Persian and Urdu, from Arabic ‘izza ‘glory’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.