Honor, reputation, or prestige.‘the izzat of the household was at stake’
prestige, kudos, cachet, standing, stature, prestigiousness, reputation, repute, regard, fame, note, renown, honour, esteem, estimation, image, account, rank, character, celebrity, importance, prominence, consequence, class, distinction, laurels, influence, weight, authority, supremacy, eminence, superiorityView synonyms
- ‘‘We never get izzat anywhere in Gujarat,’ said another.’
- ‘My brethren, for the sake of God and His Prophet do not come over here, for our people have no izzat, and nowadays we have two sirdars, Naslim Khan and Sarbaland Khan, who are such bad men as I have never come across before.’
- ‘The concept of dowry is so deeply rooted that even young women and men who seek to rebel against society by opposing dowry cannot do it wholeheartedly because there are issues of family honour (maanam, izzat, maan etc.) at stake.’
- ‘To Asian families izzat - honour - is all important.’
- ‘It's the power and prestige, respect, izzat, that becomes primary.’
Persian and Urdu, from Arabic ῾izza glory.