One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical procedure whereby an egg is fertilized by sperm in a test tube or elsewhere outside the body.‘her twins had been conceived through IVF’as modifier ‘IVF treatment’
- ‘To prepare for IVF, a doctor induces superovulation in a woman, a condition in which she matures many eggs in one month, instead of the usual single egg.’
- ‘She went for two IVF treatments; when both were unsuccessful, she and her husband decided to adopt.’
- ‘Telling her about my IVF at an early stage meant we could work well as a team to cover any ante-natal absences.’
- ‘I was fortunate enough to undergo successful IVF treatment at the first attempt, resulting in the birth of twin daughters.’
- ‘The issue of IVF brought with it many ethical issues which cause controversy to this day.’
- ‘My second daughter was conceived by IVF and she's now 21 years old.’
- ‘When couples undergo IVF in hopes of conceiving a child, the procedure nearly always creates more embryos than will be used.’
- ‘Following numerous IVF attempts, she struggled to accept her infertility.’
- ‘The chance of multiple births is higher with IVF because more than one embryo is often put back in the woman's womb.’
- ‘Fertility treatment with donor eggs is normally carried out using IVF.’
- ‘He told me that because I needed to have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed I had to consider whether I wanted to try IVF now before it was too late.’
- ‘Couples considering IVF must undergo an assessment at a fertility clinic before any treatment begins.’
1970s: short for in vitro fertilization.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.