Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Set (text) in italics.‘she italicized the title’no object ‘use this key to italicize’
bring attention to, call attention to, draw attention to, focus attention on, highlight, point up, spotlight, foreground, play up, make a point ofView synonyms
- ‘The strikethrough font identifies original language proposed for deletion while proposed changes are italicized in bold font.’
- ‘Legal citations are italicized and footnoted in the text.’
- ‘Almost everything would be italicised; many words would be in block capitals; new fonts would have to be invented.’
- ‘Almost every 10th word on a page is italicized, which is a flaw for two reasons.’
- ‘It includes a glossary whose entries are italicized when they first appear in the text.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.