Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of two or more enzymes with identical function but different structure.
- ‘The isozymes of each given enzyme were also numbered sequentially following a similar methodology.’
- ‘Our results suggest that temperature has a crucial effect on the occurrence of the heteromeric isozymes of this enzyme.’
- ‘Two or three genes encode sucrose synthase isozymes in monocot species such as maize, barley, wheat, and rice.’
- ‘In fact there are 3 isozymes of NOS in mammalian cells.’
- ‘The best studied set of isozymes is the lactate dehydrogenase system.’
- ‘In natural populations of Drosophila melanogaster, an amylase isozyme with the lowest amylase activity is predominant.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.