One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of muscle action) taking place with normal contraction.
- ‘A good example of isotonic contraction would be free weight training.’
- ‘The existence of damped oscillations in the isotonic transient response of single muscle fibers therefore argues in favor of the oscillating regime.’
- ‘This exercise piece is specifically designed for isometric and isotonic neck muscle testing and exercise.’
- ‘A graduated program of swimming and stationary bicycling, along with isometric, isotonic, and eccentric strengthening in the later stages is prescribed.’
- ‘These properties are in agreement with recent experiments on the isotonic response of single muscle fibers carried out by Edman and Curtin.’
2Denoting or relating to a solution having the same osmotic pressure as some other solution, especially one in a cell or a body fluid.
- ‘Standard BAL was then performed using three aliquots of 50-ml sterile isotonic saline.’
- ‘Any solutions, such as antibiotic or isotonic solution, should be included on the label.’
- ‘Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.’
- ‘The purpose of this activity is to teach the students about osmosis and the effects of hypotonic, hypertonic, and isotonic solutions on animal cells.’
- ‘The fluid that surrounds the body cells is isotonic.’
- 2.1 (of a drink) containing essential salts and minerals in the same concentration as in the body and intended to replace those lost as a result of sweating during vigorous exercise.
- ‘Constar supplies a range of hot-filled beverage bottle sizes for the full range of juice and isotonic beverage applications.’
- ‘Sometimes it is better to consume isotonic drinks where the carbohydrate source is a concentrated form of glucose.’
- ‘I will start with nutritional supplements, gels, isotonic drinks, power bars and creatine.’
- ‘It was a mile and a half up a long hill, before I reached the next isotonic drinks station.’
- ‘According to Productscan, PepsiCo launched the most isotonic, energy producing beverages globally in the 12 months to May 2007, followed by The Coca-Cola Company.’
- ‘When you start the London marathon, you've got crowds cheering, you've got pretty girls giving you isotonic drinks.’
Early 19th century (as a musical term designating a system of tuning, characterized by equal intervals): from Greek isotonos, from isos ‘equal’ + tonos ‘tone’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.