One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a polymer) in which all the repeating units have the same stereochemical configuration.
- ‘The original results in production of isotactic and stereoblock type polypropylenes are presented.’
- ‘Nor have we found crystalline isotactic poly (para-methylstyrene) reported elsewhere in the literature.’
- ‘Best known for his work in polymer chemistry, Vandenberg independently discovered isotactic polypropylene.’
- ‘This extremely desirable structure owes its elasticity to the isotactic nature of the polymer, and for this reason these polymers are used for the manufacturing of car tires.’
- ‘We recently reported the retardation of the rate of crystallization, measured calorimetrically, in isotactic polystyrene nucleated with silica.’
1950s: from iso- ‘equal’ + Greek taktos ‘arranged’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.