Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the same osmotic pressure.
- ‘Desert gopher tortoises also store dilute urine that buffers evaporative loss and allows them to hold blood osmotic concentration constant, at least until bladder contents become isosmotic with blood.’
- ‘Control experiments confirmed that no volume change occurred following perfusion of cells with isosmotic media.’
- ‘Replacement of NaCl for isosmotic sorbitol produced a slight depolarization of the membrane.’
- ‘This led us to the hypothesis that terrestrial crabs have the option of directing isosmotic urine to organs that, unlike the antennal gland, are capable of producing strong gradients.’
- ‘A control experiment was performed for each group, in which cells were perfused with isosmotic media.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.