Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of insects that comprises the termites.
- ‘Sociality has evolved multiple times, most notably in the Hymenoptera and Isoptera.’
- ‘In Isoptera and Hymenoptera, such as ants, eusocial bees, and wasps, individuals permanently forego their own reproduction for helping others.’
- ‘Isoptera are believed to have evolved from wood-eating Blattaria.’
- ‘Treeswifts hunt opportunistically and frequently feed on Isoptera and Coleoptera (beetles).’
- ‘Insects in the order Isoptera, are better known for eating timber than for being eaten themselves.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek isos equal + pteron wing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.