Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of physical exercises in which muscles are caused to act against each other or against a fixed object. Also called isometric exercise.
physical activity, movement, exertion, effort, workView synonyms
- ‘Cruise calls 8 Minutes in the Morning ‘an all-new fitness program,’ but it seems like a throwback to the past since it is solidly built on a resurrection of isometrics.’
- ‘This reaction occurs during activities that require a rapid and maximum application of force for a short duration, such as during isometrics and heavy weight training.’
- ‘High-tech isometrics helps persons on hypertension medication’
- ‘You can also exercise some of your body muscles while playing poker - basically using isometrics and taking a brisk walk every so often as a break from the table.’
- ‘By the time dawn breaks I've already done my isometrics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.