One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A policy of remaining apart from the affairs or interests of other groups, especially the political affairs of other countries.
- ‘In the 1930s, American politics were characterized by isolationism in foreign policy and a preoccupation with internal affairs.’
- ‘European leaders therefore worried that the United States might at some point be tempted again by the siren call of isolationism.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the nation's postwar isolationism proved only temporary.’
- ‘A vast humanitarian operation could threaten their gainful isolationism and turn the population against its tormentors.’
- ‘That is because of the always latent and sometimes active strain of isolationism in American political culture.’
- ‘Quite frankly at this point a policy of isolationism would be fine with me.’
- ‘I fear that is the other side of America's so-called isolationism; it is an interventionist consequence of isolationism.’
- ‘Internationally, nuclear weapons and e-commerce make isolationism impossible.’
- ‘They rejected isolationism and nationalist parochialism and defended a conception of universal human values.’
- ‘People misuse the categories of interventionism and isolationism.’
- ‘I came back convinced that there were only two American foreign policies, either isolationism or a crusade.’
- ‘The public did not turn to isolationism and the Congress and administration curbed their unilateralism.’
- ‘If the US can be persuaded to keep supporting global treaties, ministers argue, it will not retreat into dangerous isolationism.’
- ‘Older traditions of internationalism and isolationism have been revived and adapted to post-cold war conditions.’
- ‘The reason for this doctrine was perhaps explained by the curious American policy of isolationism.’
- ‘An era of involuntary isolationism would be the lot of the United States.’
- ‘Engagement with the world creates jobs and growth while a policy of economic isolationism destroys them.’
- ‘The old policy of economic isolationism is a recipe for economic disaster.’
- ‘US isolationism has been around since the country was born.’
- ‘For centuries, the kingdom followed a policy of isolationism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.