Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘He isn't sure what he's going to do if it goes over to Monday because he's got a meeting then.’
- ‘It could be that they have damaged their own property, which in law isn't an offence.’
- ‘We do the same and put out only one bag each week which isn't full, but I fear we are in the minority.’
- ‘We are using him as a striker but he isn't one and I think that showed a bit with the chance he missed.’
- ‘The windows are closed and there are no flowers in the house so I know this isn't from that.’
- ‘The public may not be entirely in the know, but it isn't entirely in the dark, either.’
- ‘This is an observation on a par with pointing out to us that the world isn't flat.’
- ‘Breakfast isn't just about putting fuel in your tank to help drive you through the day.’
- ‘Championing the lesser evil to avoid the greater one isn't a tactic that works here.’
- ‘He isn't nerdy, but he is repelled by what he feels is the machismo of current music.’
- ‘The signs are that it isn't going to be as big a hit as many of his other films.’
- ‘The living usually want to go on living, and it isn't possible when horror is too close.’
- ‘Well it isn't the full marathon but it might as well be for this group of runners.’
- ‘So isn't that more of a reason to teach him how to handle the Press, rather than shelter him?’
- ‘Conrad is concerned that Tanya isn't happy and thinks she is still in love with him.’
- ‘No one has ever been able to demonstrate this, for the simple reason that it isn't true.’
- ‘It's harder to find a cyclist obeying the law than one who isn't and it's not just kids.’
- ‘This isn't about politics but about the men and women who choose to serve this country.’
- ‘Name calling such as this does nothing to convince me that the agency isn't doing a good job.’
- ‘He says he wants to remain in active politics, but this isn't easy in the new Scotland.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.