One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Groups of pancreatic cells secreting insulin and glucagon.
- ‘Pancreatic hormones result from endocrine activity, as performed by the islets of Langerhans.’
- ‘One of the actions of insulin, which is also secreted by the islets of Langerhans, is to activate a specific enzyme in the liver.’
- ‘Early transplantation of pancreas with beta cells of islets of Langerhans is a complete cure for diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘Pancreatic islets of Langerhans produce bursts of electrical activity when exposed to stimulatory glucose levels.’
- ‘The pancreas is dotted with hormone-producing tissue called the islets of Langerhans, which contain alpha and beta cells.’
- ‘Neuroglobin mRNA was also present in adrenal cells and the cells of the pancreatic islets of Langerhans.’
Late 19th century: named after Paul Langerhans (1847–88), the German anatomist who first described them.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.