One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of an island.
- ‘It's a magnificent piece of work, created by the islanders in over 30,000 painstaking hours.’
- ‘English was taught as a foreign language and used by many of the islanders when they emigrated to America.’
- ‘Its history is long and filled with clashes between governments and determined islanders.’
- ‘There is no electricity; some islanders use bottled gas for lighting and cooking.’
- ‘The supply was restored to the majority of islanders late on on Monday afternoon.’
- ‘MacLeod is part of a majority of islanders who voted against the idea in a referendum.’
- ‘It was a miracle of survival that the islanders managed to live on it for so long.’
- ‘The thumping bass of The Docks, the islanders say, is tortuous, keeping them up all night.’
- ‘At the moment islanders have to rely on a mixture of oil, solid fuel and small hydro schemes which are unreliable and expensive.’
- ‘Many of these islanders ended up on the eastern seaboard of Canada, either voluntarily or by forced evictions.’
- ‘Plantations of brackens and garlic are the main source of vegetable income for islanders.’
- ‘The islanders have long been accustomed to celebrities holidaying on Arran.’
- ‘The islanders then held an all-night vigil on the island as they feared that the fire might rekindle.’
- ‘Beyond the ties islanders have to each other, they also have unbreakable ties to the island itself.’
- ‘He shared his knowledge of the islands and told us how innocent the islanders were and how low the crime rate was.’
- ‘He continued by complimenting the islanders and their committees for their commitment.’
- ‘Canvey was one of the first to log on when it installed eight PCs a year ago, connecting islanders to the rest of the world.’
- ‘There is a history of complaints from a minority of islanders on Sherkin Island.’
- ‘Mersea islanders are set to decide whether they will fund the appointment of a police community support officer.’
- ‘Total tranquility is probably just a memory to the native islanders who stood their ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.